It all started, when Kosala and I transferred our client’s brand new WordPress site to his GoDaddy server account. We added the domain through ‘Deluxe Windows Hosting’ created a database with user id and passwords, and transferred all the WodrPress files to the domain.
We typed the url gleefully in our browser…and we were greeted with the common message “Error Establishing a Database Connection”
We grabbed the wp-config file and checked the host name, database name, user name and the password; changed the database users and the passwords several times; checked for leading and trailing spaces; re-created the database; changed the host names; googled the error looked at plenty of ‘Solved’ answers, checked forums but to our utter horror, the only advice was to change the config file.
We also thought of installing WordPress on the domain, but as there were several other sites hosted, we did not want to take the risk.
It took us 3 good hours, with no success. Feeling utterly useless, we closed up for the weekend. During the weekend the thought of the server kept popping up in my mind and I kept dreaming of goDaddy Plesk panel. It was not a great weekend at all!
On Monday, we roped in Arosh to the grievance. Luckily he did not try to simulate the problem from scratch. We went through the options individually on our own machines and saw a possible new option. Hey how come we saw it now! Arosh being a calmer and a cooler guy than both of us, I entrusted the whole burden onto him.
So in future, if transferring WordPress sites to GoDaddy, we will remember to set it up as a managed WordPress site and not any other.